Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Roll 'em over, lay 'em flat, pin his shoulders to the mat!

Let me begin by saying that Brady is a very emotional child... of course we love him none the less. So when we couldn't figure out how to teach him to be tough when things got rough we decided that putting him in wrestling would be the best option. So far a lot of tears have been shed in Brady's eyes due to disappointment. If he doesn't win then the world is over. He gets a lot of this emotionalism from his father. For example:
Sportsmanship video

Wasn't that fun. If you're not sure what you just witnessed, that was little Robbie losing. That's what I have to deal with on a daily basis from Mr. Brady. Thank you Robbie Law for instilling that in our son. Best quality ever.

Last Friday, despite all the tears, we decided to put Brady into his first tournament. Robbie and I were so nervous for him. I was literally shaking. I love my little guy so much and I didn't want him to get hurt physically or emotionally. We located the kid Brady was about to wrestle in the crowd and said, "oh crap." He was so good. Butterflies were building up in our stomachs when it came time for Brady to face his fate. The ref blew the whistle and before you knew it he had taken Brady down. You could hear him start to cry. I felt so bad for him. I wanted to get him out of there so bad. The whistle blew and the first round was over. Brady never let the kid pin him. We called that match quits. The boys shook hands as Brady bawled.
After that we let him watch some other matches just so he could understand that there has to be a winner and a loser and it doesn't matter what the outcome is as long as you try your best.
So after what seemed like an eternity it was time for his second match. The boys shook hands, the whistle blew and bam...Brady took the kid down! Of course not more than 10 seconds later did the kid got on top but something different happened. No tears! It was a miracle. Brady made it through every round without a tear and without ever being on top. I've never been prouder of him. When it was over he had the biggest smile on his face. He was so proud of himself. I think wrestling is going to be a good thing for my guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment